Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Piecing Minky

Towards the end of my pregnancy, I decided to treat myself to some quick finishes. A few fabric representative samples and some minky yardage picked up from the Albuquerque Modern Quilt Guild Destash Sale, and I was underway. After arranging the pre-cut rectangles of various sizes into a preposed arrangement on the floor, I began piecing. If you intend to attempt likewise, I have a few pointers, as minky is a slippery little devil.
  • Use a 1/2" seam allowance.
  • Do not iron; minky melts.
  • Pin generously along the edges to kept them aligned while stitching.
  • Use a walking foot.
To assemble the blankets pillowcase-style, I placed the right sides of the back and front together, stitched around the edge (leaving a gap for turning), and pulled the fabric through the hole. The opening was sealed with permanent fabric glue. I could have top-stitched around the edge instead, but  I opted for the carefree route.  I created on blanket for my older son to take to school for kindergarten nap, and another for my daughter, as a  consolation for acquiring a brand new and demanding sibling.
Should you choose to accept the challenge of conquering the piecing of minky, I found some useful references. Quilting AdventuresThe English Geek, and Superior Threads have some excellent suggestions for getting minky to cooperate. Whereas, see Greener Grass Handmade for a blanket construction tutorial.

Follow on Bloglovin
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I recently made my 2 year old daughter's halloween costume with minky. Sewing anything other than quilts and bags is new territory for me, and the only thing I had done before with minky was a little square taggy blanket toy when my daughter was a baby. So, before stitching I googled tips for sewing with it. In addition to pinning well (and then adding more pins) the best tip I found was water soluble Dritz Wonder Tape. It made sewing the devilishly stretchy stuff so much easier... and I found that I didn't even have to wash it away. I just used it near the edge of the fabric so that I didn't stitch through it, and then I was able to pull it off pretty easily. Next time you are sewing with minky, definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot to be said for quick finishes. I bet your daughter loves the cheery colours. (Your son is still to young to care, right? :))

    ReplyDelete